(American Iron and Steel Institute, www.steel.org (10-08-22) Based on the Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported today that steel import permit applications for the month of October totaled 2,298,000 net tons (NT)*. This was nearly unchanged from the 2,301,000 permit tons recorded in September and a 2.6% increase from the September final imports total of 2,241,000. Import permit tonnage for finished steel in October was 1,873,000, up 0.7% from the final imports total of 1,860,000 in September. For the first ten months of 2022 (including October SIMA permits and September final imports), total and finished steel imports were 26,517,000 NT and 21,542,000 NT, up 3.3% and 18.6%, respectively, from the same period in 2021. The estimated finished steel import market share in October was 22% and is 24% year-to-date (YTD). Steel imports with large increases in October permits vs. September final imports include sheets and strip galvanized electrolytic (up 98%), heavy structural shapes (up 69%), wire rods (up 52%), cold finished bars (up 51%) and wire drawn (up 16%). Products with significant year-to-date (YTD) increases vs. the same period in 2021 include standard pipe (up 50%), wire rods (up 47%), line pipe (up 46%), heavy structural shapes (up 46%) and oil country goods (up 43%). In October, the largest steel import permit applications were for Canada (554,000 NT, up 3% from September final), Mexico (420,000 NT, up 33%), Brazil (199,000 NT, up 5%), South Korea (117,000 NT, down 62%) and Germany (109,000 NT, up 41%). Through the first ten months of 2022, the largest suppliers were Canada (5,804,000 NT, down 1%), Mexico (4,635,000 NT, up 24%) and South Korea (2,359,000 NT, up 3%). *Note that import permits data are counts of tonnages requested in applications for licenses to import steel products and are not actual import volumes. For a number of reasons, permit tonnages may understate or overstate actual import volumes for the month, preliminary estimates of which will be available later this month.
AISI Press Release on Latest U.S. Imports of Steel Products – November 2022
14025 West Road
Houston, TX 77041